I saw a meme today that was like “how come all my carbs have been replaced with cauliflower and I only watch shows about murder” and that is so relatable, its insane. Truthfully, I only need an avenue to shove more cheese into my mouth so whether its cauliflower margherita pizza with a ton of mozzarella or zucchini noodles with a boat load of parmesan, cauli is the new bread and I think it makes me skinnier. Honestly not sure because I am saving myself from carbs but exposing myself to way more cheese. But its fine. Here is my FAVORITE 12-step recipe for cauliflower margherita pizza:
- 2 bags of microwaveable cauliflower rice
- 2/3 cup of thinly grated mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- Pesto sauce or sauce of choice
- 2-3 baby tomatoes
- fresh basil
- fresh mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Heat up two bags of microwavable cauliflower according to the directions on their bag. Then let cool in a bowl for 2 min
- Place cauliflower rice on a towel and ring out all the water from the rice
- Place rice, one egg, 2/3 cup mozzarella, oregano and rosemary in a bowl and mix with your hands
- Pat down mixture onto a pan with parchment paper or silpat and place in oven for 15 min or until edges are brown
- Flip the crust and let cook for another 10 minutes
- While the crust is cooking cut tomatoes and prepare toppings
- Spread pesto (or sauce of choice) onto crust and add toppings: sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil
- Put the pizza back in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts. Let cool before serving
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees then warm up cauliflower rice. I use microwaveable cauliflower rice because I am too lazy to rice up cauliflower with a food processor. I am also not 30 so I don’t have a food processor. So first, I heat up 2 bags of cauli rice.
Pour all that cauli into a bowl and let it cool for about 2 minutes.
After it cools down, pour the rice into a towel or kitchen rag and form it into a ball.
Ring out all the water from the cauliflower. The more water you get out, the better! P.s. I didn’t let it cool which is why I am wearing rubber gloves. The water was literally burning me so you don’t have to be this extra if you follow the directions…
Put the dried cauliflower in a bowl big enough for mixing and prepare the following ingredients: grated cheese (I use mozzarella), dried oregano and rosemary, and an egg.
Add one egg to the mixture.
Add 2/3 cup of thinly grated mozzarella.
Add 1/2 tbsp of dried oregano and dried rosemary. I am obviously Rachel Ray so I can eyeball all of my measurements. Jk, I just like a lot of everything and I didn’t want to dirty up more utensils.
Mix everything together with your hands then pat down the crust onto a cookie sheet or casserole dish with liner under it. Silpats work the best but parchment paper is fine too. Just be sure to not oil down the pan or paper because it will mess up the consistency of the crust and make it really soggy. College tip: brown paper bags work the same as parchment paper.
Prepare all your ingredients and put the crust in the oven for about 15 min or until the sides start to get brown. After 15 min you are going to take the crust out and flip it. This is where it is important that you took all the water out of the cauliflower rice because it will stick to the parchment paper if there is a lot of moisture in the crust. Flip the crust over so it can cook all the way through. Just put it in for about 10 minutes.
After the crust is cooked through (brown on the edges and golden brown on the top), its time to add the toppings. I dont like traditional tomato sauce on my pizza so I use pesto and it is amazing.
Add on toppings. I use fresh mozzarella, grated mozzarella, sliced baby tomatoes, and basil leaves. Obviously you are going to want to strategically place everything so you can take a good picture when its finished because if you don’t , what’s this all been about…? Let the pizza sit in the oven for about 3-5 more minutes or until the cheese melts. Then let it cool and take cute instagrams. Step 13 is obviously pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy!